Penn State: Scandal costs more than $27M
STATE COLLEGE - February 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Penn State's bill for legal fees, consultants and other costs associated with the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal stands at more than $27.6 million.
An updated figure as of November 2012 was provided this week on a university website. It includes a $13 million price tag for board of trustees communications and the internal investigation into the scandal by former FBI Director Louis Freeh.
Freeh's findings released last summer were the subject of renewed scrutiny earlier this week after Joe Paterno's family released an extensive response conducted by its own experts. The late coach's family said the report was flawed and said Freeh made unfounded accusations that Paterno acted to cover up allegations against Sandusky.
Sandusky, a former assistant football coach under Paterno, is serving a prison term for 45 counts of child sexual abuse involving 10 boys. He maintains his innocence.
Among other Penn State costs, nearly $7.5 million went to university legal services or defense, including the law firm representing the university to facilitate settlements with people who have told the school they suffered damages related to the Sandusky scandal.
About $4 million covered other legal defense fees including those for three school ex-administrators facing criminal charges related to the scandal.
University insurance policies should reimburse some of the fees and costs, but Penn State has said it won't dip into tuition dollars, state appropriations or donations.
The $27.6 million total doesn't include the first of five $12 million annual installments, paid by athletics in December, to begin covering the $60 million fine handed down by the NCAA as part of its landmark sanctions.
pennsylvania, pennsylvania state university, jerry sandusky, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 15 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 2 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Brisk And Cold
8 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
15 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
2 min ago