Penn State: Scandal costs more than $27M
STATE COLLEGE - February 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Penn State's bill for legal fees, consultants and other costs associated with the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal stands at more than $27.6 million.
An updated figure as of November 2012 was provided this week on a university website. It includes a $13 million price tag for board of trustees communications and the internal investigation into the scandal by former FBI Director Louis Freeh.
Freeh's findings released last summer were the subject of renewed scrutiny earlier this week after Joe Paterno's family released an extensive response conducted by its own experts. The late coach's family said the report was flawed and said Freeh made unfounded accusations that Paterno acted to cover up allegations against Sandusky.
Sandusky, a former assistant football coach under Paterno, is serving a prison term for 45 counts of child sexual abuse involving 10 boys. He maintains his innocence.
Among other Penn State costs, nearly $7.5 million went to university legal services or defense, including the law firm representing the university to facilitate settlements with people who have told the school they suffered damages related to the Sandusky scandal.
About $4 million covered other legal defense fees including those for three school ex-administrators facing criminal charges related to the scandal.
University insurance policies should reimburse some of the fees and costs, but Penn State has said it won't dip into tuition dollars, state appropriations or donations.
The $27.6 million total doesn't include the first of five $12 million annual installments, paid by athletics in December, to begin covering the $60 million fine handed down by the NCAA as part of its landmark sanctions.
pennsylvania, pennsylvania state university, jerry sandusky, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 33 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 13 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
13 min ago