THON Day 2: Dancers still going strong
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - February 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Saturday night pep rally, the people in the stands, the support on the floor of the Bryce Jordan Center - it's all for these young cancer patients and the dancers who are fighting for them.
"To have them here and interact with them and understand what they're going through, this is the time they don't have to think about this, they can just have fun," said Alexa Wilcox.
THON 2013 is entering that home stretch of this 46 hour dance marathon to raise awareness and end pediatric cancer.
"To fight pediatric cancer, it's just an incredible feeling. It's a humbling feeling, it's a privilege," said Marc Procopio.
On the floor, the spirits and the socks are high.
"Always gotta have good socks, it's all about looking silly and acting like a big kid," said Tyler Pierce.
We also found a lot of Penn State students from the Delaware Valley who are doing their part to help raise as much money as possible for the Four Diamonds Fund. The fund benefits families at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.
"I can't even describe the feeling. It makes me feel very lucky and I've never been more happy in my life seeing those kids so happy," said Chelsea Haurin.
Saturday evening, THON went worldwide with a 30 second global dance party streamed live on THON's Facebook page.
It's an effort that families like the Pantanos of State College really appreciate.
This time last year, their 8-year-old son Koan was battling AML, a form of Leukemia. Now, he's got moves like Jagger and he's cancer free.
"He's wearing the dancers out on by one. It's really great. It's really great to see it, it's nice for me to see him have that much energy," said Emma Patano, mother.
On Sunday, the dancing will stop and the grand fundraising total will be revealed. Last year more than $10.5 million was raised and everyone is hoping that THON 2013 can beat it.
pennsylvania, penn state, THON at Penn State, local/state, kenneth moton
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos