NJ man faces 130 years for shooting officers during raid
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) - February 16, 2013 -- A man convicted of shooting police officers executing a search warrant at his New Jersey home is facing more than 130 years in prison.
Jaime Gonzalez of Lakewood was found guilty Friday of attempting to murder five of the 11 officers involved in the September 2009 raid. The five included Officer Jonathan Wilson, who was blinded in one eye after being shot in the face and has since retired on disability.
The 43-year-old Gonzalez was also convicted of aggravated assault on three more officers, including one who was shot in the foot and another who was struck by a round in his bulletproof vest. But he was acquitted of trying to murder or assault the three remaining officers who took part in the raid.
The Ocean County jury also convicted Gonzalez on numerous drug and weapons charges. He's due to be sentenced later this year.
The raid was the culmination of a multi-jurisdictional investigation into gun and drug trafficking. County prosecutors said that after the officers broke down the door to Gonzalez's home and headed upstairs, he was at the top of the stairs waiting for them and opened fire.
During the trial, Gonzalez's attorney said the officers had unwittingly shot each other in the midst of the bedlam. Gonzalez testified that he fired warning shots when he thought robbers were entering his home.
Gonzales was shot several times and hospitalized for several days after the raid.
new jersey, ocean county, shooting, police, local/state
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft 57 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In 46 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 54 min ago
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death 55 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Video: New warning about scams targeting seniors
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy