Penn State's THON raises record breaking $12.3 million (PHOTOS)
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - February 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- More than $12.3 million dollars was raised at Penn State's THON 2013 to help put an end to pediatric cancer.
16,000 people erupted in the Bryce Jordan Center Sunday afternoon at the end of this year's THON.
"No one has words, I don't even know what to say, this school is unbelievable," said Keren Benzeeb.
The year-long fundraiser came down to this weekend's 46 hour dance marathon.
Friday night, Action News was there to see more than 700 enthusiastic dancers make their first moves on the floor.
There were stage performances, group dances, and pep rallies to keep dancers energized.
As time ticked away, it was the faces of the children fighting cancer that really kept these students motivated.
"They can just forget about the chemo therapy and any other treatments that they have so to see everything culminate into this weekend is really a special experience," said Stephen Ciarocchi.
There was 7-year-old Emma Whitehead, who is in remission after being the first child to receive a new kind of gene therapy at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Who could forget the smooth dance moves of 8-year-old Koan who is also in remission.
Little Becca is still fighting her Leukemia but thankfully she's not alone.
"They talk about the kids and how they inspire them but they truly give our kids a reason to smile and have fun," said Kate Tuckey, mother.
In those final hours, a concert had the place rocking to celebrate the determination to raise money for the Four Diamonds Fund.
The organization gives money to cancer research and patients at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.
These students can rest easy knowing they've made an impact on so many lives.
"Knowing you have something to fight for and dance for makes it a whole lot easier and it means more to you," said Zeb Thorson.
THON organizers say last year more than 96 percent of the money raised went to the Four Diamonds Fund.
Plans are already in the works for THON 2014 but first it's time to get a little sleep.
pennsylvania, penn state, THON at Penn State, local/state, kenneth moton
- Mom of tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 10 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
10 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos