Fire leads to vacant marijuana grow house
STRAWBERRY MANSION - February 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fire crews called to battle flames at a home in Strawberry Mansion, stumbled upon a vacant marijuana grow house next door.
It happened around 4:00 Sunday afternoon on the 2600 block of West Huntington Street.
Crews reported heavy fire coming from the second floor of a home and quickly extinguished the blaze.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
As officials inspected the home next door for damage, they found what used to be a marijuana growing operation.
Authorities discovered found trash bags with soil, foil on the walls and various lights.
A narcotics agent says it's common practice to rent out space to run operations then move on in about six months to avoid getting caught.
While no plants were found inside, investigators believe that at its peak there could have been 50-100 plants growing inside.
No word on who was behind the operation.
philadelphia, strawberry mansion, marijuana, fire, local/state
- School closings and delays 7 min ago
- Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays 41 min ago
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally 7 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos