Hit-and-run in Trenton leaves man hospitalized
TRENTON, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man is in critical condition after a hit-and-run on Sunday morning in Trenton, New Jersey.
The victim, identified as 48-year-old Pedro Barreto, remained hospitalized Monday at Capital Health Regional Medical Center.
"He's had 4 CT scans done and there's nothing changing. I just need him to get better. I need him to come back home with me," said his daughter, Crystal Barreto.
"He's bad, he's in bad shape," siad Barreto's brother, Daniel.
Police say Barreto was hit at 2:30 a.m. in front of 685 S. Broad Street. Investigators say Barreto, a cook at Riso Bar and Restaurant on Emory Avenue, had been given a ride home from work by a friend.
Barreto had gotten out of the car and was trying to cross the street when he was hit.
Family members say Barreto has six children and fourteen grandchildren, who have been keeping vigil at his side at the hospital. Barreto is suffering from a brain bleed, broken ribs, a broken knee and a ruptured spleen.
His family is calling on the driver to surrender.
"It's the right thing to do. I mean, the guy's in critical condition, he's got a machine breathing for him. Just come forward," Daniel Barreto said. "I don't know how you can live with yourself."
"My brother's not an animal. He's a human being," said Barreto's sister, Nancy Dinatale. "Please come forward, give yourself up. Don't do this."
The striking vehicle is described as an older red car, possibly a Toyota Corolla. Investigators say the vehicle should have front bumper and hood damage.
The car was last seen being driven on South Broad Street.
Anyone with information is ask to contact Trenton Police Detective Craig Kirk at 609-989-4161.
new jersey, trenton, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 24 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
15 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
24 min ago