Hit-and-run in Trenton leaves man hospitalized
TRENTON, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man is in critical condition after a hit-and-run on Sunday morning in Trenton, New Jersey.
The victim, identified as 48-year-old Pedro Barreto, remained hospitalized Monday at Capital Health Regional Medical Center.
"He's had 4 CT scans done and there's nothing changing. I just need him to get better. I need him to come back home with me," said his daughter, Crystal Barreto.
"He's bad, he's in bad shape," siad Barreto's brother, Daniel.
Police say Barreto was hit at 2:30 a.m. in front of 685 S. Broad Street. Investigators say Barreto, a cook at Riso Bar and Restaurant on Emory Avenue, had been given a ride home from work by a friend.
Barreto had gotten out of the car and was trying to cross the street when he was hit.
Family members say Barreto has six children and fourteen grandchildren, who have been keeping vigil at his side at the hospital. Barreto is suffering from a brain bleed, broken ribs, a broken knee and a ruptured spleen.
His family is calling on the driver to surrender.
"It's the right thing to do. I mean, the guy's in critical condition, he's got a machine breathing for him. Just come forward," Daniel Barreto said. "I don't know how you can live with yourself."
"My brother's not an animal. He's a human being," said Barreto's sister, Nancy Dinatale. "Please come forward, give yourself up. Don't do this."
The striking vehicle is described as an older red car, possibly a Toyota Corolla. Investigators say the vehicle should have front bumper and hood damage.
The car was last seen being driven on South Broad Street.
Anyone with information is ask to contact Trenton Police Detective Craig Kirk at 609-989-4161.
new jersey, trenton, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead 15 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware dumpster explosion leaves 1 injured 1 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead
15 min ago