Hit-and-run in Trenton leaves man hospitalized
TRENTON, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man is in critical condition after a hit-and-run on Sunday morning in Trenton, New Jersey.
The victim, identified as 48-year-old Pedro Barreto, remained hospitalized Monday at Capital Health Regional Medical Center.
"He's had 4 CT scans done and there's nothing changing. I just need him to get better. I need him to come back home with me," said his daughter, Crystal Barreto.
"He's bad, he's in bad shape," siad Barreto's brother, Daniel.
Police say Barreto was hit at 2:30 a.m. in front of 685 S. Broad Street. Investigators say Barreto, a cook at Riso Bar and Restaurant on Emory Avenue, had been given a ride home from work by a friend.
Barreto had gotten out of the car and was trying to cross the street when he was hit.
Family members say Barreto has six children and fourteen grandchildren, who have been keeping vigil at his side at the hospital. Barreto is suffering from a brain bleed, broken ribs, a broken knee and a ruptured spleen.
His family is calling on the driver to surrender.
"It's the right thing to do. I mean, the guy's in critical condition, he's got a machine breathing for him. Just come forward," Daniel Barreto said. "I don't know how you can live with yourself."
"My brother's not an animal. He's a human being," said Barreto's sister, Nancy Dinatale. "Please come forward, give yourself up. Don't do this."
The striking vehicle is described as an older red car, possibly a Toyota Corolla. Investigators say the vehicle should have front bumper and hood damage.
The car was last seen being driven on South Broad Street.
Anyone with information is ask to contact Trenton Police Detective Craig Kirk at 609-989-4161.
new jersey, trenton, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 59 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 58 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
45 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos