Hit-and-run in Trenton leaves man hospitalized
TRENTON, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man is in critical condition after a hit-and-run on Sunday morning in Trenton, New Jersey.
The victim, identified as 48-year-old Pedro Barreto, remained hospitalized Monday at Capital Health Regional Medical Center.
"He's had 4 CT scans done and there's nothing changing. I just need him to get better. I need him to come back home with me," said his daughter, Crystal Barreto.
"He's bad, he's in bad shape," siad Barreto's brother, Daniel.
Police say Barreto was hit at 2:30 a.m. in front of 685 S. Broad Street. Investigators say Barreto, a cook at Riso Bar and Restaurant on Emory Avenue, had been given a ride home from work by a friend.
Barreto had gotten out of the car and was trying to cross the street when he was hit.
Family members say Barreto has six children and fourteen grandchildren, who have been keeping vigil at his side at the hospital. Barreto is suffering from a brain bleed, broken ribs, a broken knee and a ruptured spleen.
His family is calling on the driver to surrender.
"It's the right thing to do. I mean, the guy's in critical condition, he's got a machine breathing for him. Just come forward," Daniel Barreto said. "I don't know how you can live with yourself."
"My brother's not an animal. He's a human being," said Barreto's sister, Nancy Dinatale. "Please come forward, give yourself up. Don't do this."
The striking vehicle is described as an older red car, possibly a Toyota Corolla. Investigators say the vehicle should have front bumper and hood damage.
The car was last seen being driven on South Broad Street.
Anyone with information is ask to contact Trenton Police Detective Craig Kirk at 609-989-4161.
new jersey, trenton, hit and run, pedestrian struck, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands