Survivor of Parkway crash is killed crossing lanes
KENILWORTH, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 21-year-old southern New Jersey man survived a crash on the Garden State Parkway early Monday, only to be killed as he tried to cross several lanes of the busy highway afterward.
State police tell The Star Ledger of Newark that Luis Sarmiento, of Riverside, was found dead in the left southbound lane of the Parkway in Kenilworth around 12:45 a.m.
State police spokesman Sgt. Adam Grossman says the victim was struck by two vehicles.
A preliminary investigation shows Sarmiento left his car shortly after the accident and climbed over the center median to try to run across the southbound lanes.
Authorities spoke to the drivers of the vehicles that hit him, but no charges were immediately filed. The case remains under investigation.
Information from: The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com
new jersey, accident, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases