Survivor of Parkway crash is killed crossing lanes
KENILWORTH, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 21-year-old southern New Jersey man survived a crash on the Garden State Parkway early Monday, only to be killed as he tried to cross several lanes of the busy highway afterward.
State police tell The Star Ledger of Newark that Luis Sarmiento, of Riverside, was found dead in the left southbound lane of the Parkway in Kenilworth around 12:45 a.m.
State police spokesman Sgt. Adam Grossman says the victim was struck by two vehicles.
A preliminary investigation shows Sarmiento left his car shortly after the accident and climbed over the center median to try to run across the southbound lanes.
Authorities spoke to the drivers of the vehicles that hit him, but no charges were immediately filed. The case remains under investigation.
Information from: The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com
new jersey, accident, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 18 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew...
18 min ago
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
9 min ago