Survivor of Parkway crash is killed crossing lanes
KENILWORTH, N.J. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 21-year-old southern New Jersey man survived a crash on the Garden State Parkway early Monday, only to be killed as he tried to cross several lanes of the busy highway afterward.
State police tell The Star Ledger of Newark that Luis Sarmiento, of Riverside, was found dead in the left southbound lane of the Parkway in Kenilworth around 12:45 a.m.
State police spokesman Sgt. Adam Grossman says the victim was struck by two vehicles.
A preliminary investigation shows Sarmiento left his car shortly after the accident and climbed over the center median to try to run across the southbound lanes.
Authorities spoke to the drivers of the vehicles that hit him, but no charges were immediately filed. The case remains under investigation.
Information from: The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com
new jersey, accident, local/state
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 1 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 55 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 38 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 25 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 11 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 29 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 27 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
1 min ago