Woman dead, toddler injured in crash off I-95 in Delaware
NEWPORT, Del. - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is dead and a toddler was taken to the hospital after a crash off Interstate 95 in Newport, Delaware.
Rescuers were called to the scene on I-95 South at the ramp to Route 141 at 12:50 p.m. Monday.
There, medics found the woman, 29-year-old Kristy Long of Wilmington, dead. Her 18-month-old daughter, Aubry Carter, was found still strapped in a car seat and taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Police say a preliminary investigation had determined that Long's car, a 1996 Honda Accord, was going southbound in the right lane of I-95.
For an unknown reason, police say the car went off the road, continued straight, and came to rest in the roadside brush.
Investigators say the car may have been in the underbrush off the exit ramp for as long as three hours before someone finally noticed the vehicle. The baby was out in the freezing cold temperatures the entire time.
Police are now trying to determine how Long died. The car was not badly damaged, police said. However, it was not equipped with an airbag and the driver's seat was pushed very close to the steering wheel.
At this point, police don't know if the driver suffered some sort of medical problem or if the car had mechanical issues.
The ramp was closed during the investigation but re-opened shortly after 2:30 p.m.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 32 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 24 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
18 min ago