Video shows student fight at Archbishop Ryan High School in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - February 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- An investigation is under way after a fight between students at Archbishop Ryan High School in Northeast Philadelphia was caught on video.
The hair-pulling, fist-flying fight happened in the school cafeteria on Friday morning.
There was no class at Archbishop Ryan on Friday, but there was a sophomore retreat where 10th graders came in for a day of prayer and reflection.
The heated, profanity laced argument between the two sophomore girls broke out in the cafeteria and escalated into a brawl.
The entire incident, from argument to brawl, goes on for about four minutes. In the end it was another student who stepped in to break up the fight, not an administrator or school employee.
Because it was a sophomore retreat day, there were only a handful of school employees working. Still, some parents we talked to said there should have been an adult in the cafeteria.
"I don't know where they were either. I'm sure if there was an adult there they would have broken it up, they would have never have stood back and looked at that. Not at this school," said parent Pat Reed.
In a statement, the Philadelphia Archdiocese said that the girls involved are currently suspended.
"This type of behavior is not tolerated in any of our schools and is not an accurate reflection of our Catholic values. The students involved are currently suspended," the statement read.
Parents we talked to agreed.
"It's very upsetting. I have a daughter myself so it's upsetting to see two girls go at it like that," said parent Liz Carlson.
"It shouldn't happen especially in school. i really don't know why they should fight," said grandparent Lorraine Szalwinski.
The Archdiocese said further disciplinary action against the girls involved is pending.
Action News has learned one of those girls in the fight filed a simple assault report against the other with Philadelphia Police.
philadelphia, philadelphia archdiocese, fight, local/state
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 36 min ago
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI 35 min ago
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction 25 min ago
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
36 min ago
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking,...
25 min ago