South Philly fire leaves girl seriously injured
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators are looking for the cause of a house fire that injured a 10 year old girl in South Philadelphia.
The fire broke out late Wednesday night on the 700 block of McKean Street., forcing at least two families out of their homes.
Family and friends tell Action News that 10-year-old Samia Preston was in the kitchen where the fire started. She remains in serious condition at Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania.
"I thank God for them, they came to my rescue," said Louise Pollins. "God is good!"
Louise Pollins is grateful that firefighters, and now her church and the Red Cross, came to the aid of her and her husband, Levi.
"I pulled my curtain back, and I saw flames," she said.
The fire started next door to the Pollins' South Philadelphia home just after 11:30 p.m.
Louise says she was standing there when firefighters carried out 10-year-old Samia Preston.
"They had her lying on the ground, because she was on fire when they brought her out of the house. The little girl was on fire and they were washing her down with the hose," said Louise.
The young girl suffered burns from the blaze. Paramedics rushed Samia to Children's Hospital where family and friends say she is in serious condition with burns to her hands and torso.
Firefighters got the blaze under control in under an hour.
The home where the fire began is in ruins along with the Pollins' home at 712 McKean.
The Red Cross is assisting nine people from both homes who were left homeless.
With their pastor by their side, the Pollins are looking ahead.
"It is going to take a lot to get them back to living normal," said Pastor Edmund Sherrill.
"I thank God we came out alive," said Louise.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, south philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ