Poll: Donor controversy hurts Menendez popularity
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - fEBRUARY 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A new poll shows a donor controversy is taking a toll on U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez's popularity.
The Quinnipiac University poll out Thursday shows the Democrat's job approval rating at a five-year low of 36 percent, compared with 41 percent who disapprove of his performance.
It also shows 44 percent think Menendez isn't honest and trustworthy, compared with 28 percent who believe he has those qualities.
Menendez was recently named chairman of the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee. But his ties to a Florida eye doctor and political donor have been referred to a Senate ethics panel.
Menendez reimbursed the doctor $58,000 for flights to the Dominican Republican aboard his private plane.
The poll of 1,1,49 registered voters was taken Feb. 13-17 and has an error margin of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.
democrats, new jersey, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 4 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
2 min ago