Machete-toting man shot dead by cops in Allentown
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Allentown police say officers shot and killed a man carrying a machete.
The incident unfolded at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
Police say two officers responded to a report of a man carrying a machete. The man was walking northbound on 12th Street near Linden Street.
They confronted the man a short distance later. One of the officers opened fire at North Howard and Oak Streets, hitting the man.
Medics rushed him to Lehigh Valley Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 2:10 p.m.
Neither officer was injured.
An autopsy is scheduled for Friday morning to determine the exact cause of death.
The name of the victim has not been released.
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 30 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 29 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 17 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest