Machete-toting man shot dead by cops in Allentown
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Allentown police say officers shot and killed a man carrying a machete.
The incident unfolded at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
Police say two officers responded to a report of a man carrying a machete. The man was walking northbound on 12th Street near Linden Street.
They confronted the man a short distance later. One of the officers opened fire at North Howard and Oak Streets, hitting the man.
Medics rushed him to Lehigh Valley Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 2:10 p.m.
Neither officer was injured.
An autopsy is scheduled for Friday morning to determine the exact cause of death.
The name of the victim has not been released.
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ