Vet manager in Newtown stole or lost $355,000, police say
NEWTOWN, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former manager of a veterinarian's office in Bucks County is facing charges that she stole or lost more than $355,000 from the practice.
Trisha Lynn McLaughlin, 36, of East Street Road in Warminster, surrendered to police on Thursday morning. She is accused of misappropriating the money from Newtown Veterinary Hospital.
McLaughlin was fired in December, 2011, for the alleged theft of $3,000. However, police say, the total amount grew as the investigation continued.
Police say McLaughlin was the practice manager at NVH and was responsible for accounts payable, payroll and budget.
She allegedly used her position to write checks to herself, buy gift cards, pay for her car and pay for a gym membership.
In addition, police say, McLaughlin used accounts to wholesale clubs - intended to buy office supplies and other items for the veterinary office - for herself.
Investigators say she also inflated the pay rate for herself, her husband and other employees and failed to withhold deductions for medical and dental benefits for herself and her husband.
Along with the misappropriated funds, police say McLaughlin's mismanagement of a business daycare center caused losses totaling $85,000.
McLaughlin faces forgery, theft and other charges.
She was arraigned and released on $250,000 bail.
pennsylvania, bucks county, theft, local/state
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 4 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
4 min ago