Chester man charged in attempted murder of daughter
READING, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester man has been charged with the attempted murder and assault of his 26-month old daughter.
23-year-old Hector Charles Garcia was taken into custody on Feb. 19.
In March 2010, officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Spring Street for the report of an unresponsive child.
Garcia's 26-month old daughter was transferred to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The child survived and was left blind, unable to walk, and in need of constant care.
In 2012, detectives met with doctors from the hospital where they learned new information.
Doctors say the child suffered a number of injuries including a skull fracture and eight fractured ribs.
The doctors also told police that the injuries did not seem accidental and were consistent with the child being thrown against something.
Investigators say when the incident happened, Garcia was watching his daughter alone while her mother was at work.
The new information led police to arrest Garcia earlier this week. He faces a list of charges and his bail was set at $200,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, child death, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint 10 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
1 min ago