Chester man charged in attempted murder of daughter
READING, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester man has been charged with the attempted murder and assault of his 26-month old daughter.
23-year-old Hector Charles Garcia was taken into custody on Feb. 19.
In March 2010, officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Spring Street for the report of an unresponsive child.
Garcia's 26-month old daughter was transferred to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The child survived and was left blind, unable to walk, and in need of constant care.
In 2012, detectives met with doctors from the hospital where they learned new information.
Doctors say the child suffered a number of injuries including a skull fracture and eight fractured ribs.
The doctors also told police that the injuries did not seem accidental and were consistent with the child being thrown against something.
Investigators say when the incident happened, Garcia was watching his daughter alone while her mother was at work.
The new information led police to arrest Garcia earlier this week. He faces a list of charges and his bail was set at $200,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, child death, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ