Chester man charged in attempted murder of daughter
READING, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester man has been charged with the attempted murder and assault of his 26-month old daughter.
23-year-old Hector Charles Garcia was taken into custody on Feb. 19.
In March 2010, officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Spring Street for the report of an unresponsive child.
Garcia's 26-month old daughter was transferred to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The child survived and was left blind, unable to walk, and in need of constant care.
In 2012, detectives met with doctors from the hospital where they learned new information.
Doctors say the child suffered a number of injuries including a skull fracture and eight fractured ribs.
The doctors also told police that the injuries did not seem accidental and were consistent with the child being thrown against something.
Investigators say when the incident happened, Garcia was watching his daughter alone while her mother was at work.
The new information led police to arrest Garcia earlier this week. He faces a list of charges and his bail was set at $200,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, child death, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act