Chester man charged in attempted murder of daughter
READING, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester man has been charged with the attempted murder and assault of his 26-month old daughter.
23-year-old Hector Charles Garcia was taken into custody on Feb. 19.
In March 2010, officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Spring Street for the report of an unresponsive child.
Garcia's 26-month old daughter was transferred to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The child survived and was left blind, unable to walk, and in need of constant care.
In 2012, detectives met with doctors from the hospital where they learned new information.
Doctors say the child suffered a number of injuries including a skull fracture and eight fractured ribs.
The doctors also told police that the injuries did not seem accidental and were consistent with the child being thrown against something.
Investigators say when the incident happened, Garcia was watching his daughter alone while her mother was at work.
The new information led police to arrest Garcia earlier this week. He faces a list of charges and his bail was set at $200,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, child death, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 10 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 29 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 5 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 31 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 14 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 17 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
10 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
17 min ago