Chester man charged in attempted murder of daughter
READING, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester man has been charged with the attempted murder and assault of his 26-month old daughter.
23-year-old Hector Charles Garcia was taken into custody on Feb. 19.
In March 2010, officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Spring Street for the report of an unresponsive child.
Garcia's 26-month old daughter was transferred to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment.
The child survived and was left blind, unable to walk, and in need of constant care.
In 2012, detectives met with doctors from the hospital where they learned new information.
Doctors say the child suffered a number of injuries including a skull fracture and eight fractured ribs.
The doctors also told police that the injuries did not seem accidental and were consistent with the child being thrown against something.
Investigators say when the incident happened, Garcia was watching his daughter alone while her mother was at work.
The new information led police to arrest Garcia earlier this week. He faces a list of charges and his bail was set at $200,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, child death, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 7 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos