Quick-scam artist on spree in Montgomery Co.
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- In Montgomery County, police are searching for a criminal skilled in the art of confusion. Over the past 6 weeks, he's ripped off 6 different employees at 6 different cafes.
All of the victims have one thing in common: they didn't know they were being scammed.
Investigators say the man loves to visit busy restaurants but not to eat. Upper Merion Police say he is a crook called a quick-change scammer.
Detective Andrew Rathfon says his goal is: "He tries confusing the cashier into giving him more change than he is owed."
Detective Rathfon tells Action News that the suspect tried it at a Panera Bread in King of Prussia Sunday, but a quick-thinking manager spotted him and the suspect bolted.
The con starts with a small purchase and a big bill. The con man fast-talks the clerk with requests for change. The goal is to confuse the clerk into forgetting to collect the offered money.
Today such a scam could yield $40 or $50. If you can pull off the scam four or five times in a day, it's not a bad living.
As for the real suspect, Action News has been told he has hit at least 6 Panara breads in the last six weeks. It's likely he has hit other eateries as well.
The suspect is described as a white man in his 40s or 50s, wearing a cap and heavy coat and driving a white Toyota Scion SUV.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, king of prussia, scam, 6at4, local/state, john rawlins
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 49 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos