Virtual book drive helps area libraries
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A virtual book drive is underway in the Greater Philadelphia area.
Local libraries and other organizations have teamed up with Disney, parent company of 6abc, to give away thousands of books to children in need.
Action News visited West Chester Public Library, one of six libraries and charitable organizations in the Delaware Valley dedicated to this unique book give-away.
It's a virtual book drive, where books are donated to each of six organizations: the Free Library of Philadelphia, the New Jersey Library Association, Cradles to Crayons, the Pajama Program, the Wilmington Public Library and the West Chester Public Library.
One create thing about the drive is that YOU decide where the books will be donated.
All you have to do is go to our 6abc Facebook page, click on the Virtual Book Drive amd vote for one of the six organizations.
If you aren't familiar with them, there is information for you to research each one.
And for each "click" or vote, one book will be donated to that establishment.
"The books are divvied up by the number of votes each organization receives," said Victoria Dow, director of the West Chester Public Library. "And this is a case where you are allowed to vote early and often. You don't have to vote only once. You can come back next week and vote again."
As many as 50,000 books will be distributed, with some given to individual families.
Communities are thrilled that there are three libraries on the list to receive the book donations.
"It's a great place to find out about new books that you might have browsed for in your local bookstore that sadly isn't there anymore," said Dow.
In fact, she says, with the demise of local book stores, libraries are busier than ever.
"Part of it is, when the economy is a bit rough, library usage does go up," said Dow.
You have until the end of the month to make your donation.
pennsylvania, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 8 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 3 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 1 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 9 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious...
8 min ago