Virtual book drive helps area libraries
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A virtual book drive is underway in the Greater Philadelphia area.
Local libraries and other organizations have teamed up with Disney, parent company of 6abc, to give away thousands of books to children in need.
Action News visited West Chester Public Library, one of six libraries and charitable organizations in the Delaware Valley dedicated to this unique book give-away.
It's a virtual book drive, where books are donated to each of six organizations: the Free Library of Philadelphia, the New Jersey Library Association, Cradles to Crayons, the Pajama Program, the Wilmington Public Library and the West Chester Public Library.
One create thing about the drive is that YOU decide where the books will be donated.
All you have to do is go to our 6abc Facebook page, click on the Virtual Book Drive amd vote for one of the six organizations.
If you aren't familiar with them, there is information for you to research each one.
And for each "click" or vote, one book will be donated to that establishment.
"The books are divvied up by the number of votes each organization receives," said Victoria Dow, director of the West Chester Public Library. "And this is a case where you are allowed to vote early and often. You don't have to vote only once. You can come back next week and vote again."
As many as 50,000 books will be distributed, with some given to individual families.
Communities are thrilled that there are three libraries on the list to receive the book donations.
"It's a great place to find out about new books that you might have browsed for in your local bookstore that sadly isn't there anymore," said Dow.
In fact, she says, with the demise of local book stores, libraries are busier than ever.
"Part of it is, when the economy is a bit rough, library usage does go up," said Dow.
You have until the end of the month to make your donation.
pennsylvania, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad