Scam cheats Pa. woman out of more than $1 million
EASTON, Pa. - February 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania say a couple bilked a local philanthropist out of more than $1 million with fake hard-luck tales.
The Northampton County district attorney on Friday announced theft and conspiracy charges against Shawnta and Hassan Carmon of Allentown.
Top prosecutor John Morganelli says the couple asked philanthropist Marlene "Linny" Fowler for money for things like medical procedures and college tuition.
Authorities say none of the hardship stories were true. Morganelli says the Carmons actually spent the funds on clothes, jewelry and gambling.
Morganelli says the investigation began before Fowler's death on Feb. 4.
A grand jury returned the presentment three days later, but the charges were delayed until after Fowler's funeral.
The couple was being arraigned Friday in Bethlehem. It's unclear if they have a lawyer.
pennsylvania, fraud, scam, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today 6 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief 1 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra