Scam cheats Pa. woman out of more than $1 million
EASTON, Pa. - February 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania say a couple bilked a local philanthropist out of more than $1 million with fake hard-luck tales.
The Northampton County district attorney on Friday announced theft and conspiracy charges against Shawnta and Hassan Carmon of Allentown.
Top prosecutor John Morganelli says the couple asked philanthropist Marlene "Linny" Fowler for money for things like medical procedures and college tuition.
Authorities say none of the hardship stories were true. Morganelli says the Carmons actually spent the funds on clothes, jewelry and gambling.
Morganelli says the investigation began before Fowler's death on Feb. 4.
A grand jury returned the presentment three days later, but the charges were delayed until after Fowler's funeral.
The couple was being arraigned Friday in Bethlehem. It's unclear if they have a lawyer.
pennsylvania, fraud, scam, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!