Scam cheats Pa. woman out of more than $1 million
EASTON, Pa. - February 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania say a couple bilked a local philanthropist out of more than $1 million with fake hard-luck tales.
The Northampton County district attorney on Friday announced theft and conspiracy charges against Shawnta and Hassan Carmon of Allentown.
Top prosecutor John Morganelli says the couple asked philanthropist Marlene "Linny" Fowler for money for things like medical procedures and college tuition.
Authorities say none of the hardship stories were true. Morganelli says the Carmons actually spent the funds on clothes, jewelry and gambling.
Morganelli says the investigation began before Fowler's death on Feb. 4.
A grand jury returned the presentment three days later, but the charges were delayed until after Fowler's funeral.
The couple was being arraigned Friday in Bethlehem. It's unclear if they have a lawyer.
pennsylvania, fraud, scam, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 24 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
26 min ago