Phila. School District announces new Renaissance Schools
PHILDELPHIA - Febraury 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia School District has announced three new schools that will be turned in to Renaissance Charter Schools in the fall.
James Alcorn, Kenderton and Pastorius elementary schools were all chosen.
The schools were picked based on PSSA performance, academic growth, truancy rate and other key factors.
Several other schools will be implementing the Promise Academy model. Those schools include: Edison High, Strawberry Mansion High, Barry Elementary, Bryant Elementary, Cayuga Elementary, and McMichael Elementary.
"We believe that we have the capacity to support certain schoolsthrough the Promise Academy model and will engage our external partners with successful track records to advance others. Ultimately, our goal is to get thebest outcomes for all students," said Dr. William R. Hite, Superintendent.
The goal of the Promise Academies are to improve the overall achievement rates at the schools.
The School Reform Commission is expected to give final approval on the designations and the teams to operate the schools in late April or early May.
philadelphia, philadelphia school district, school, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 6 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 8 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 17 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea 48 min ago
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled 53 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 7 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
6 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
8 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
17 min ago