Machete-holding man shot by Pa. police identified
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania have identified a man shot and killed by police officers who said he threatened them with a machete.
The Lehigh County coroner's office says the man was 44-year-old Saturnino Perez De La Rosa of Allentown.
County officials say the man began threatening officers in Allentown who responded to a call about an armed man on Thursday. Police said he was hit several times with a stun gun, but it appeared to have no effect and two officers fired.
District Attorney Jim Martin said the shooting appeared justified.
De La Rosa's brother said his brother was schizophrenic and often heard voices and saw hallucinations. He criticized the shooting, saying he had called police the day before to try to have his brother hospitalized.
allentown, pennsylvania, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 15 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
50 min ago