Crime Fighters: Police shooting suspect sought
February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester County police officer is forced into retirement after being shot in the line of duty. Now, he hopes a big reward will help bring his shooter to justice.
Sunday night, January 17, 2010 was a quiet night for now retired Corporal Timothy Hubbard of East Goshen Township, Chester County.
"I was on general patrol just driving around as we normally do," Hubbard said.
That's until he came upon a suspicious vehicle at about 11:25 p.m. on Strasburg Road east of Dutton Mill Road.
"I came upon a car that was sitting half on the road and half off," Hubbard said.
Being a rainy and cold night, Corporal Hubbard thought the vehicle was broken down and those inside needed help.
He pulled into a nearby parking lot and found a man and woman arguing.
"It looked like a pretty heated argument and just kind of a lot of yelling and screaming back and forth," Hubbard said.
Corporal Hubbard approached the couple on foot.
He says the woman quickly ran off, but the man came towards him.
"I saw him reaching down in his general waistband area and just kind of, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something," Hubbard said.
When the suspect got close, the two struggled and Corporal Hubbard's hand closed around the muzzle of the gun.
"The gun went off, didn't even realize it at first that I had been shot," Hubbard said.
The bullet went through his left hand causing severe nerve damage, so much so that he had to leave the force.
The suspect took off in a dark colored, older model 4-door Honda, possibly an Accord, with a possible Delaware registration.
A $30,000 reward is being offered that leads to an arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
You're urged to call the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS.
Hubbard also had something to say for the woman who fled that night.
"We're concerned for her safety and would love for her to be able to come forward," Hubbard said.
philadelphia, shooting, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Lots of sun, chilly today 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos