Salvation Army to open 'drop-in center' for homeless young adults
HOUSTON -- The Salvation Army Greater Houston Area Command says it has received $1 million in federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to setup permanent supportive housing for homeless young adults in the state.
The funds were awarded to The Salvation Army as part of a new approach to housing homeless young adults between the ages of 18 to 25 years old. The organization will provide housing and offer educational, job training and therapeutic support to homeless young adults with an overall focus on trauma recovery using elements of cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational interviewing.
The Salvation Army will also open a day drop-in center for homeless young adults.
"Right now there are no daytime services like these available for this population in the city of Houston. There are many good agencies working very hard on various pieces of our community problem of homelessness, including young adults. There are shelters for homeless individuals to stay at over night, but homeless young adults report they are not aware of daytime resources available for them during normal business hours," said Gerald Eckert, director of Social Services for The Salvation Army Greater Houston Area Command.
"We have been very successful in helping other homeless populations transition into permanent housing situations. Part of our reason for proposing and frankly receiving the funding for this program and Drop-In Center have been our success rates to date," said Major Chris Flanagan, Area Commander for The Salvation Army Greater Houston Area Command.
The Salvation Army says 700 men, women and children find a safe place to sleep at one of the non-profit's four shelters in the Houston metropolitan area every night.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ