Christie: Atlantic City government 'God-awful'
MONTVILLE, N.J. - February 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Gov. Chris Christie is once again attacking Atlantic City's municipal government and its mayor.
The governor told a town hall in Morris County on Wednesday that the resort city is "one of the worst-run, the most bankrupt, ridiculous municipal governments in America."
He also said the mayor "has no idea what he's doing."
Christie was angered by a report in The Press of Atlantic City that 15 public employees were retiring with $2.2 million in payouts for unused sick and vacation time. He is also upset about a $16,000 raise approved for Mayor Lorenzo Langford.
In his budget address Tuesday the governor again called on the Legislature to prohibit future public hires from being able to cash out unused sick time. Democrats want to cap payouts instead at $7,500.
new jersey, atlantic city, gov. chris christie, local/state
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 13 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 52 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
13 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
57 min ago