Christie: Atlantic City government 'God-awful'
MONTVILLE, N.J. - February 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Gov. Chris Christie is once again attacking Atlantic City's municipal government and its mayor.
The governor told a town hall in Morris County on Wednesday that the resort city is "one of the worst-run, the most bankrupt, ridiculous municipal governments in America."
He also said the mayor "has no idea what he's doing."
Christie was angered by a report in The Press of Atlantic City that 15 public employees were retiring with $2.2 million in payouts for unused sick and vacation time. He is also upset about a $16,000 raise approved for Mayor Lorenzo Langford.
In his budget address Tuesday the governor again called on the Legislature to prohibit future public hires from being able to cash out unused sick time. Democrats want to cap payouts instead at $7,500.
new jersey, atlantic city, gov. chris christie, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ 22 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands