Philly area serial bank robbery suspect arrested
PHILADELPHIA - February 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have arrested the man who they say is responsible for the robbery of ten banks in the Philadelphia area.
35-year-old Tarik Hooks of Philadelphia was arrested on February 22nd by the FBI and Philadelphia Police.
Hooks is accused of stealing more than $24,000 during the one month robbery spree.
He is charged with robberies at the following locations:
According to the FBI, a security director with Wells Fargo received an anonymous tip identifying Hooks as the man responsible for the February 8th robbery of the bank branch in Lansdowne.
The tip led the FBI to conduct surveillance outside of Hooks' home, during which a man, matching Hooks' description, was observed entering a white Lexus. A trace of the car's tags led investigators to where it was purchased, and the dealer told investigators the car was bought by a Tarik Hooks.
Then following the February 21st robbery in Drexel Hill, witnesses told police that the suspect fled the scene in a black sedan. Police were able to track down that vehicle, a black Lexus, abandoned three blocks away.
Investigators learned that the black Lexus was stolen outside a grocery store on the 5900 block of Chestnut Street in West Philadelphia. Surveillance video from the store shows a man exit a white Lexus SUV, then drive away in the black Lexus - leaving the white Lexus behind.
Both vehicles were impounded by authorities. A black hat and wig were found during the search of the black vehicle, consistent with what was worn by the suspect in the February 21st robbery. While searching the white vehicle, authorities found a cell phone, an envelope addressed to Tarik Hooks and a wallet containing Hooks' drivers license.
An arrest warrant was issued and Tarik Hooks was taken into custody at his home on the 6100 block of Spruce Street.
Hooks was taken to Philadelphia FBI headquarters at 600 Arch Street where authorities say he confessed to the robberies.
philadelphia, delaware, delaware county, bank robbery, local/state
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 35 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Woman's body found in Berks County 29 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 5 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser