Life-saving heroes honored by fellow postal workers
TRENTON, N.J. - February 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Postal workers at the Trenton Processing Center on Route 130 couldn't stop applauding the heroic lifesaving efforts of two colleagues Thursday.
It was last September when Terrence Lyman and John Mallard were going about their workday when a co-worker collapsed with a heart attack.
The two men ran down the hall, performed CPR and used a defibrillator to save the life of Russ Childress, a maintenance supervisor.
Mallard said he had just taken a CPR course six weeks earlier and never thought he'd need the skills.
"Over the loudspeaker system came the call," he said. "When I arrived there, unfortunately Russ was not in a good position. The training just took over."
Both men got plaques, gifts and a thunderous standing ovation.
Lyman says he just reacted naturally and helped a friend. He said all the praise was overwhelming.
"I didn't expect this much. I didn't expect all these people. I'm touched. I really am touched," he said.
Childress was hospitalized and had a long recovery. He's back at work now and can't thank his colleagues enough for what they did.
"Thank you. That's the big quandry I have. How do you tell somebody 'thank you' for giving you a second chance at life?" he said.
Childress' grateful family was also on hand and spent the day thanking both men again and again!
new jersey, local/state, monica malpass
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 12 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
22 min ago
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
12 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos