Van driver hits multiple cars fleeing traffic stop in West Philadelphia
WEST PHILADELPHIA - March 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A traffic stop in West Philadelphia ended with a crash involving a police car and several other vehicles on Friday morning.
The collision happened just before 8:00 a.m.
It all began when an officer tried to pull over a van for a routine traffic stop.
Police say the driver of the van, identified as 47-year-old Orlando Jackson, took off and hit another police car, which had been called in for backup, at 59th and Race.
That police car then hit the side of a school building.
Jackson continued on, police say, but then crashed into more cars at 59th and Chestnut.
Wayne Baxter lost two cars in the crash.
"It's not hitting me right now, but it's going to hit me tomorrow when I see both of my vehicles not out here," he said."
Baxter and neighbor Ezra Edwards are now wondering what to do next.
"I don't know how I'm going to get to work tonight," Baxter said.
"I use my vehicle for work. That's my livelihood. I'm a courier," said Edwards.
An officer in the cruiser that was struck was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and was listed in stable condition.
Jackson is in custody.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, accident, police, local/state
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- AccuWeather: Damp and cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect 44 min ago
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years 38 min ago
- As fireworks crackle, Beckham plays last home game
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list