Van driver hits multiple cars fleeing traffic stop in West Philadelphia
WEST PHILADELPHIA - March 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A traffic stop in West Philadelphia ended with a crash involving a police car and several other vehicles on Friday morning.
The collision happened just before 8:00 a.m.
It all began when an officer tried to pull over a van for a routine traffic stop.
Police say the driver of the van, identified as 47-year-old Orlando Jackson, took off and hit another police car, which had been called in for backup, at 59th and Race.
That police car then hit the side of a school building.
Jackson continued on, police say, but then crashed into more cars at 59th and Chestnut.
Wayne Baxter lost two cars in the crash.
"It's not hitting me right now, but it's going to hit me tomorrow when I see both of my vehicles not out here," he said."
Baxter and neighbor Ezra Edwards are now wondering what to do next.
"I don't know how I'm going to get to work tonight," Baxter said.
"I use my vehicle for work. That's my livelihood. I'm a courier," said Edwards.
An officer in the cruiser that was struck was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and was listed in stable condition.
Jackson is in custody.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, accident, police, local/state
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 46 min ago
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
21 min ago