2013 Phila. Flower Show brings a taste of England
PHILADELPHIA - March 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- The brilliance of Britain and an early taste of Spring drew thousands of visitors to the Pennsylvania Convention Center for the opening day of the 182nd Philadelphia Flower Show.
This year's theme celebrating Great Britain was the draw for Jillian Sloane, who was born in England.
Seeing the Beatles' yellow submarine, floral renditions of the crown jewels and Big Ben made her think of home.
"I like the roses and everything and the music they just played and Big Ben, it was really good," saisd Sloane.
Patricia Myers agreed, saying the show reminded her of her own visit to the UK.
Did she think they captured the spirit of Great Britain?
"I do,I do, definitely," said Myers.
Sandra Montalvan brings her grandmother to the show every year.
"She's amazing at taking care of flowers. I can't take care of flowers to save my life, I don't know how she does it. It's just beautiful how every year it's a different theme and it's very nice," said Montalvan.
She wasn't the only one taking notes and taking pictures, hoping to re-create some flower show magic in their own garden at home.
"It does show you how you can mix and match different plants if you have the right soil," said Ed Mosee.
This year the flower show runs from March 2-10, for more information and to purchase tickets visit http://theflowershow.com/.
philadelphia, philadelphia flower show, local/state, amy buckman
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 15 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...