Crimefighters: Who killed Allen Rice?
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - March 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's been almost ten years since a man was found shot and burned in South Philadelphia and his family is still seeking justice.
"He was very close to his family," said Larry Rice, victim's brother.
Rice says his brother Allen had some missteps but was getting his life together.
"He began to have some brushes with the law, Allen was in the process of turning his life around," said Rice.
On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, Allen Rice's family says he was back in the area after a visit with his sister in Georgia but disappeared.
Just before 7:00 p.m., police found a truck on fire on the 1900 block of South 24th Street in South Philadelphia. The body inside was later identified as Allen.
"It was one of the most horrible things I ever experienced," said Rice.
Police say Allen had been shot in the head and then his body and truck were set on fire.
"People murder people like it's nothing," said Rice.
Allen's family hopes someone remembers something about that day, even if they remember seeing Allen's truck.
"He had an F-350 and it was diesel so it was very loud and it stood out, it had four wheels in the back, so it was one of a kind in the city so someone might have seen the truck," said April Rice.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $1,000 reward and the City of Philadelphia is offering up to $20,000 for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
You can make an anonymous call to the hotline at 215-546-8477 or the police tip line at 215-686-8477.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, homicide, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Deadly hit and run suspect van caught on camera 6 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
33 min ago