Hamilton Township crash kills teen and his mentor
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 19-year-old and his mentor were killed when their car ran into a group of trees in Atlantic County.
The accident happened around 3:30 a.m. at Weymouth Road in Hamilton Township.
Police tell Action News the driver lost control of the vehicle, ran off the road, and struck a group of trees.
19-year-old Matthew A. Zaydel and his mentor, 30-year-old Michael Love, were ejected from the vehicle. They were later pronounced dead at area hospitals.
"Getting that phone call saying that your brother passed away just completely broke my heart," said Travis Zaydel, victim's brother.
Heartbroken and in disbelief, Travis is trying to come to grips with the fact that his younger brother, Matt, is no longer alive.
"That kid was my life, my life was my inspiration and showed me how to live my life day to day," said Travis.
On Sunday afternoon, evidence of the horrific crash remains with tire tracks imprinted on the road and medical gloves littered on the ground.
It's sad and surreal for the friends and families of these two young men.
On Facebook, those who knew the victims created a virtual memorial to vent their feelings and honor their lives.
The close knit circle of friends tells Action News that the group bonded over a love for tattoos.
"In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna get a big tattoo for Matthew because he deserves it so he knows has friends family supporting him even though he's gone," said Travis.
Meanwhile police say the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time but the exact cause for the crash remains under investigation.
new jersey, atlantic county, accident, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 14 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ