Hamilton Township crash kills teen and his mentor
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 19-year-old and his mentor were killed when their car ran into a group of trees in Atlantic County.
The accident happened around 3:30 a.m. at Weymouth Road in Hamilton Township.
Police tell Action News the driver lost control of the vehicle, ran off the road, and struck a group of trees.
19-year-old Matthew A. Zaydel and his mentor, 30-year-old Michael Love, were ejected from the vehicle. They were later pronounced dead at area hospitals.
"Getting that phone call saying that your brother passed away just completely broke my heart," said Travis Zaydel, victim's brother.
Heartbroken and in disbelief, Travis is trying to come to grips with the fact that his younger brother, Matt, is no longer alive.
"That kid was my life, my life was my inspiration and showed me how to live my life day to day," said Travis.
On Sunday afternoon, evidence of the horrific crash remains with tire tracks imprinted on the road and medical gloves littered on the ground.
It's sad and surreal for the friends and families of these two young men.
On Facebook, those who knew the victims created a virtual memorial to vent their feelings and honor their lives.
The close knit circle of friends tells Action News that the group bonded over a love for tattoos.
"In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna get a big tattoo for Matthew because he deserves it so he knows has friends family supporting him even though he's gone," said Travis.
Meanwhile police say the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time but the exact cause for the crash remains under investigation.
new jersey, atlantic county, accident, local/state
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks 9 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 41 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 46 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 49 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft 53 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom...
9 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package...
53 min ago