Rapper Beanie Sigel sentenced for drug possession
TINICUM TWP., Pa. - March 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia rapper Beanie Sigel will serve 6 to 23 months behind bars for drug possession.
He pleaded guilty Wednesday to illegally having prescription painkillers.
Sigel, whose real name is Dwight Grant, has been in jail ever since his arrest in August 2012 in Tinicum Township.
The 38-year-old rapper was a passenger in a car pulled over on Interstate 95 in Tinicum Township, Delaware County, just south of his hometown of Philadelphia.
Police said they found a gun in the car's console. Both Sigel and driver Gerald Andrews are felons banned from having such weapons, according to troopers.
Police say they searched Sigel's pockets and say they found codeine syrup and some pills wrapped in cellophane. It's a combination known on the streets as pancakes and syrup.
Andrews was also carrying several prescription bottles and a small amount of marijuana, police said.
delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 3 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 34 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 11 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Video: Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
3 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
34 min ago