Rapper Beanie Sigel sentenced for drug possession
TINICUM TWP., Pa. - March 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia rapper Beanie Sigel will serve 6 to 23 months behind bars for drug possession.
He pleaded guilty Wednesday to illegally having prescription painkillers.
Sigel, whose real name is Dwight Grant, has been in jail ever since his arrest in August 2012 in Tinicum Township.
The 38-year-old rapper was a passenger in a car pulled over on Interstate 95 in Tinicum Township, Delaware County, just south of his hometown of Philadelphia.
Police said they found a gun in the car's console. Both Sigel and driver Gerald Andrews are felons banned from having such weapons, according to troopers.
Police say they searched Sigel's pockets and say they found codeine syrup and some pills wrapped in cellophane. It's a combination known on the streets as pancakes and syrup.
Andrews was also carrying several prescription bottles and a small amount of marijuana, police said.
delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club 1 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 11 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 9 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate 13 min ago
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces 14 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip...
1 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
9 min ago