Rapper Beanie Sigel sentenced for drug possession
TINICUM TWP., Pa. - March 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia rapper Beanie Sigel will serve 6 to 23 months behind bars for drug possession.
He pleaded guilty Wednesday to illegally having prescription painkillers.
Sigel, whose real name is Dwight Grant, has been in jail ever since his arrest in August 2012 in Tinicum Township.
The 38-year-old rapper was a passenger in a car pulled over on Interstate 95 in Tinicum Township, Delaware County, just south of his hometown of Philadelphia.
Police said they found a gun in the car's console. Both Sigel and driver Gerald Andrews are felons banned from having such weapons, according to troopers.
Police say they searched Sigel's pockets and say they found codeine syrup and some pills wrapped in cellophane. It's a combination known on the streets as pancakes and syrup.
Andrews was also carrying several prescription bottles and a small amount of marijuana, police said.
delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 48 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more