Lawnside device a hoax, officials say
LAWNSIDE, N.J. - March 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- A threatening device was found inside an elevator at the Lawnside Borough Hall in Camden County Thursday morning, prompting the response of police and the bomb squad.
Federal law enforcement officials tell Action News that the device has been classified as a hoax.
No explosives were found in the device or package.
Authorities responded to the hall around 8:30 a.m. Thursday, located at 4 Douglas Avenue in Lawnside.
Police say the device was discovered by a court employee around 8:20 a.m.
The device consisted of a clear plastic ziploc bag with three metal pipes duct taped together and a timer on top. Attached to the device is a note addressed to Mayor Mary Ann Wardlow.
"It's certainly a difficult day for her, but she's a popular person in the community, she's a tough lady and she's doing fine," borough attorney Morris Smith said.
Experts used a special robot to render the item safe.
Police say investigation revealed the device did not contain explosives and was instead filled with screws.
Police say there have been no previous public threats made against the mayor, Mary Ann Wardlow.
"Can't say random, but right now it is a puzzling situation for us all," Lewis said.
Police are hoping that surveillance video from inside the building will shed light on who set the device.
Police say Wardlow left the building about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday night and the device was not in the elevator at that time.
When it was placed there, and who was responsible, is under investigation.
Anyone with information should contact Camden County Prosecutor's Office Investigator Fred Lang at (609) 381-4940.
camden county, new jersey, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 35 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos