Shore communties clean up from coastal storm
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - March 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Communities at the Jersey shore began cleaning up Thursday following the coastal storm that hit the region yesterday.
The storm is gone but the work is just beginning.
Damage could be seen up and down the Jersey shore.
Water has taken over parts of Sea Isle City, turning streets into rivers. The bay side of the city is seeing the worst of the flooding.
Joe McDevitt, the Governor of the Moose Lodge, said, "This storm was pretty darn bad. We were here last night and we lost power for about four hours."
In Atlantic City, New Jersey, Westend Avenue flooded and McDevitt said the water came right up to the door.
"We are going to have to raise up something in order to keep the flow of traffic and keep the residents safe," added McDevitt.
On Thursday afternoon, for folks in Cape May Court House, the power is still out after the wind knocked out power pole after power pole on Stone Harbor Boulevard.
"We've had no power since about 1:00 p.m. yesterday and we're hoping its going to come back," since Dave Sharp of Kindle Ford.
Yesterday's wind gusts topped 60 miles per hour, knocking down the Kindle Ford sign off its post.
"It's been through Sandy and other storms and never had an issue but this time, she came down," said Sharp.
Power crews are hoping to have the power back on by Thursday night.
jersey shore, new jersey, severe weather, local/state, eva pilgrim
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 33 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 22 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 35 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 27 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
35 min ago