Explosives found in Malvern storage facility detonated safely
MALVERN, Pa. - March 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have confirmed to Action News that explosives were found at a storage facility in Malvern, Chester County.
The Action Cam was there Thursday night after 7:00 p.m. as federal agents removed dozens of explosives from a public storage facility on Lancaster Pike in Malvern.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan says the federal search and seizure of the explosives was pre-planned and very controlled.
"This is part of an ongoing investigation between the FBI and local law enforcement," said Hogan. "We had our eye on this guy for a while."
Local and federal authorities would not confirm who the suspect is.
But law enforcement sources tell us he is 42-year-old Istvan Merchenthaler of Coatesville, Pa., a man who was taken into federal custody last month for charges related to a $2 million Ponzi scheme involving prepaid phone cards.
As for the explosives, 60 devices believed to be pipe bombs, all were detonated safely, and the threat is over.
"To our knowledge there is no further threat to anyone else," said Hogan. "We have no information that this is in any way a terrorist attack."
pennsylvania, chester county, explosion, fbi, local/state
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 2 min ago
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's 11 min ago
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House 10 min ago
- Fight erupts during Philly Christmas tree...
28 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
11 min ago
- Mysterious, driverless car spotted on highway
10 min ago
- First dog knocks down toddler at White House
10 min ago