Fmr. Phila. officer charged with loan sharking
PHILADELPHIA - March 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former Philadelphia police officer is facing loan sharking charges.
46-year-old Gary Cottrell was arrested Friday morning.
He is accused of making high interest loans and at times using force to try and collect the money.
Cottrell had already lost his job with the force after being arrested two years ago for insurance fraud.
Police say one of his clients was 18th District Officer Cheryl Stephens.
Stephens is also facing charges, she is accused of lying to a grand jury about not being charged interest on her loans.
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police