Man saves dog, gets trapped in Delaware River
TACONY - March 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police and fire crews were called to rescue a man and his dog from the Delaware River.
It happened around 5:30 Saturday night near State Road in Tacony.
Police say the man was walking his Yorkshire terrier along the river when the dog got loose and went into the river.
The man went into the river and rescued his dog, but because the water temperature was in the 40s, he was unable to swim to shore.
The man grabbed hold of a pier piling some 60 feet from shore when a passerby saw and called for help.
Police marine units were able to rescue the man and his dog and neither required hospitalization.
philadelphia, animals, water rescue, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 19 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton 26 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware 39 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
44 min ago
- John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
26 min ago