Sun and smiles at Phila. St. Patrick's Day Parade
PHILADELPHIA - March 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- The sun was shining and Irish eyes were smiling Sunday afternoon as Philadelphia's annual St. Patrick's Day Parade made its way up the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Green-clad, and in some cases, green-haired, parade-watchers were treated to Irish music, dance, and more, in this 243rd tribute to all things from the Emerald Isle.
Bagpiper William Watson says the nation's second-oldest St. Patrick's Day parade is a great way for Irish children to learn about their heritage.
"It's absolutely critical that the kids like this stuff, that we make it relevant to them. An old culture but something that is brought into the 21st century and the kids absolutely love it," said Watson.
For Jeanie Davies, whose great-grandparents came from Ireland, the parade is an annual family tradition.
"I love the dancers because my daughters used to dance for McDade School so it's fun to watch now. We used to march in the parade but it's fun to watch too," said Davies.
The Duggan Family just moved to our area. What do they think of their first Philadelphia St. Patrick's Day Parade?
"Fantastic, everyone is enjoying it," said Pete Duggan.
The Kumar family was visiting Philadelphia from New York and they say you didn't have to be Irish to join in the fun.
"Totally not but for today I am," said Richa Kumar.
For many, the best part about the parade being Sunday is that everyone gets to celebrate with friends and family and be Irish again next week.
philadelphia, st. patrick's day, local/state, amy buckman
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 7 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 38 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 15 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Video: Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
7 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
38 min ago