12th juror sought for Philly abortion doc's trial
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - March 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Lawyers are seeking a 12th juror Tuesday to serve in the trial of a Philadelphia abortion provider charged with killing a woman and seven babies.
Eleven jurors have been chosen this month for the trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell. Six alternates will also be seated, as the trial could last two months.
Prosecutors say Gosnell ran a rogue clinic that flaunted health and safety laws governing abortions, anesthesia and the distribution of painkillers.
A 2011 grand jury report alleges that untrained staff performed many medical duties before Gosnell came to the clinic each day.
Gosnell is charged with eight counts of murder in the deaths of a woman patient and seven babies allegedly killed after late-stage abortions. He could face the death penalty if convicted.
The 72-year-old doctor has pleaded not guilty.
abortion, trial, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ