Del. Amber Alerts to include cell phone notices
DOVER, Del. - March 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- State police are updating Delaware's Amber Alert system for child abductions with automatic notifications to cell phones.
The new wireless emergency alert, or WEA, system allows Amber Alert notifications to be sent to compliant cell phones statewide. Previously, cell phone users received Amber Alerts only if they chose to participate.
Cell phone users who choose not to receive the Amber Alert can contact their service providers or turn off the notification setting on the cell phone. If the phone is placed in the vibrate mode, the tone will not be heard.
The wireless emergency alert uses a loud notification tone, similar to the emergency alerts on radio and television, accompanied by a text message.
Delaware has issued eight Amber Alerts since it began its program in 2003.
delaware, amber alert, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 39 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 41 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos