NJTP reopens following truck fire in East Windsor Twp.
EAST WINDSOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A truck fire led to big delays on the southbound New Jersey Turnpike in Mercer County Wednesday morning.
The incident happened at 7:27 a.m. just south of Exit 8 in East Windsor Township.
Authorities say the fire started in the engine of the box truck. The driver noticed smoke coming from under the hood, pulled over and tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher but was unsuccessful.
The truck was carrying oxygen and acetylene, as well as welding equipment. Due to the material in the tanks in the back of the truck, both north and southbound lanes were closed for a time.
Northbound lanes reopened at 7:47 a.m. and all southbound lanes reopened by 9:20.
No one was injured.
accident, fire, new jersey turnpike, mercer county, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 58 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 37 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 45 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 48 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
41 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
38 min ago