NJTP reopens following truck fire in East Windsor Twp.
EAST WINDSOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A truck fire led to big delays on the southbound New Jersey Turnpike in Mercer County Wednesday morning.
The incident happened at 7:27 a.m. just south of Exit 8 in East Windsor Township.
Authorities say the fire started in the engine of the box truck. The driver noticed smoke coming from under the hood, pulled over and tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher but was unsuccessful.
The truck was carrying oxygen and acetylene, as well as welding equipment. Due to the material in the tanks in the back of the truck, both north and southbound lanes were closed for a time.
Northbound lanes reopened at 7:47 a.m. and all southbound lanes reopened by 9:20.
No one was injured.
accident, fire, new jersey turnpike, mercer county, new jersey, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted