Ex-Philly traffic court judge Fortunato Perri, Sr. admits ticket fixing
PHILADELPHIA - March 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former president judge of Philadelphia's traffic court has pleaded guilty to fixing tickets for a strip club owner and others in exchange for favors.
Fortunato Perri Sr., 76, is one of nine judges named in January in a widespread ticket-fixing scheme alleged by the FBI.
He pleaded guilty to four counts of wire and mail fraud, admitting he used his connections to make hundreds of thousands of dollars in tickets disappear.
In the indictment, Perri was allegedly recorded on wiretap telling one businessman, "When you call, I move, brother. Believe me, I move everybody."
It seemed the well-connected knew to call Judge Perri on behalf of themselves, or their employees.
"Those requests were distributed to the various judges presiding over the cases and the dispositions, the outcomes, were very favorable to those ticket holders," said Assistant D.A. Denise Wolf.
There was no evidence Perri took cash, but rather lots of service benefits from the business owners.
"Free car repairs, free food, free videos and various landscaping services and other services," Wolf said.
Perri was charged separately from the others and had been expected to plead guilty. Two other retired judges have also pleaded guilty.
He faces up to six months in prison after Wednesday's fraud and conspiracy plea.
Defense lawyer Brian McMonagle, who declined comment, will seek probation for his client.
Sentencing is scheduled for June 21.
philadelphia, corruption, fraud, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 36 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 23 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 23 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 28 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 1 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 32 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 19 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos