Clifton Heights mom incited daughter to fight, police say
CLIFTON HEIGHTS, Pa. - March 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A mom from Clifton Heights, Delaware County is under arrest after she allegedly incited her 12-year-old daughter to fight another girl.
The incident was captured on video outside Primos Elementary School Sunday afternoon. The video was released by police Wednesday.
Police say mom is 45-year-old Michele Davenport.
In the video, the girls seem reluctant. But Davenport has them square off and start swinging. She can be heard yelling instructions from the sidelines.
After awhile the girls get tired of the struggle and actually try to shake hands. But mom signals round two.
Police say Davenport claimed her daughter had been bullied and she came to help her settle a score.
"Mom still does not believe this is a big deal. She can't understand why she was arrested," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
Davenport and her daughter have both been arrested.
The victim was treated at the hospital for a concussion and other injuries.
Police say they have zero tolerance for this kind of thing, especially since the recent death of 12-year-old Bailey O'Neill in nearby Darby Township.
He fell into a coma after a schoolyard fight and died two weeks ago.
Both Bailey and the victim in this case were classmates at Darby Township Elementary School. She was an altar server at his funeral.
The police say it's tough to send home the anti-bullying message when parents act like this.
"Mom's teaching the kids the wrong thing," said Chitwood. "Mom acted like a moron."
The daughter was released to the custody of her father last night.
Davenport spent the night in jail and is now free on ten percent of $35,000 bail.
pennsylvania, upper darby, delaware county, fight, local/state
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load