Search continues for driver in Roosevelt Blvd. hit-and-run
PHILADELPHIA - March 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 59 year-old woman remains hospitalized in critical condition, after being struck by a hit-and-run driver, and the search continues for the person who was behind the wheel.
It happened Saturday night in Northeast Philadelphia. The victim Deborah Johnson was standing at a bus stop when a mini-van suddenly veered out of control and struck her, leaving her for dead.
"Look what you did to me," said Deborah Johnson. "I can't even move."
Johnson is recovering at Einstein Hospital recovering after police say she was hit at the corner of Roosevelt Boulevard and Garland Street just after 11:00 p.m.
Witnesses say Johnson was standing near the driveway of the Days Inn Hotel at the bus stop on Garland Street when a minivan traveling south on Route 1 lost control, crossed the right lane of traffic and hit Johnson on the curb.
She was thrown about 15 feet to the corner.
The minivan hit the hotel's fence, knocking a portion of it down. Police say the driver initially stopped, but then took off, fleeing the scene.
"They hit her, got out of the car, looked at her, and got back in the car and drove away," said Barbara Cook.
Investigators are looking for a tan 2009 Chevy Venture minivan.
"At this point, it is just having faith in God, and God will help her," Cook said.
Johnson suffered head trauma, a broken leg, a ruptured spleen and other internal injuries.
"She was full of energy. Now she can hardly move," said Cook.
Her family is hoping the driver will turn himself in.
"They are going to find him. There are cameras at the Days Inn," Cook said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police.
hit and run, accident, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state, eva pilgrim
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 46 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp. 38 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 2 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
33 min ago