Body found in NE Phila. waste management plant
NORTHEAST PHILDELPHIA - March 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police discovered the body of a man inside a pile of recycled paper at a Waste Management facility in Northeast Philadelphia.
It happened around noon Saturday on the 5200 block of Bleigh Street.
Two workers were on the job when investigators say they discovered the body of a 60-year-old man.
"In this neighborhood up here you don't see a lot around here, people walking around, this is more of an industrial area," said Gabriel Piorko.
Next door, people at the Capital Auto Auction were surprised to see officers entering the property.
"I see Waste Management and I'm thinking what do police and Waste Management have in common?" said Karim Cathur.
Action News has learned the victim was found with a broken leg and injuries to his face but homicide detectives don't suspect foul play at this point.
The working theory is the man, possibly homeless, was trying to stay warm during these recent cold nights and fell asleep in a dumpster somewhere in the city. Police believe he was picked up by a trash truck.
Exactly how the man died is still unclear.
"I've been neighbors with them for a long time and they've been great neighbors. This is the first time I've heard something like this. You always think about it but you don't know if it happened here or if it happened somewhere else in the city," said Piorko.
Police haven't said if they've have a positive identity on the victim.
The incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Preparing for more snow
- Video: Tracking more snow
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Video: Recapping the Eagles Snow Bowl
- Roy Halladay retires after 16 seasons
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say