$5,000 reward in South Philly dead dogs case
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - March 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Earlier this year, six dead pit bulls were discovered along railroad tracks in South Philadelphia and now a $5,000 reward is being offered in the case.
On Wednesday January 30th a railroad worker was going about his day at 26th Street and Washington Avenue in South Philadelphia.
"Routine check of a railroad worker down checking the rails finds these six bags and inside these bags are six pit bulls," said Santo Montecalvo, Citizens Crime Commision.
Officials say the dead dogs all had extensive injuries and wounds.
Investigators say there have been no leads in the case. They believe the incident could be linked to a large-scale dog fighting ring.
"Hopefully somebody has seen these individuals or know where these dog fights are happening. Just give us a call and let us know where these dog fights are happening, maybe we'll save some other dogs from this fate," said Montecalvo.
There's a $5,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
Tipsters can call the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS(8477) and all calls will remain anonymous.
"Let the SPCA do what they do best, find out who did it and prosecute them," said Montecalvo.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, animal abuse, animals, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 27 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 2 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 7 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 23 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
27 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
2 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
7 min ago