Gunman killed in Dick's Sporting Goods barricade in Bucks Co. ID'd
FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. - March 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified the armed man who barricaded himself inside the bathroom of a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Bucks County and killed himself.
Bucks County Coroner Joseph Campbell said Sunday that the gunman - 58-year-old Mark McCarty of Levittown died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.
The incident began around 7:30 p.m. Saturday along Commerce Boulevard in Fairless Hills.
Sources tell Action News that he went into the sporting section and asked to see a shotgun and ammunition.
The store clerk complied and McCarty allegedly pulled out a handgun and told the clerk to undo the gun lock on the shotgun.
Witnesses say McCarty then took the shotgun and ammunition and ran to the bathroom, barricading himself inside.
"It's quite scary, just looking at it, how serious things can go wrong so quickly," said Nicole Didonato.
Ted Jusinksi, who was in the store with his son, says they thought McCarty was one of the employees.
"He walked only a foot behind him. In retrospect I'm thinking he could have grabbed him easily and used him as a hostage in anyway if he needed to. The afterthought of that is horrifying," said Jusinksi
Authorities quickly evacuated people from that store and surrounding others.
Police were never able to make contact with McCarty. A robot was later sent in but it was discovered that he was already dead.
Falls Township Police say the suspect had a history with law enforcement including a 2002 standoff in Middletown. In 2010, he was committed into a mental institution.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
pennsylvania, bucks county, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 55 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ