South Philadelphia veteran scammed out of classic cars, home
GLENSIDE, Pa. - March 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- All 88-year-old Ray White has left are the clothes he's wearing.
"Suddenly I have no place to live and no money. Just nothing. It just all disappeared," White said.
Police say the scam began last year when Melvin McIlwaine approached White outside his South Philadelphia home and told him how much he liked his 1964 Bentley.
McIlwaine began coming to the home more often. White thought he had a new friend.
But soon McIlwaine wanted the titles to not only the Bentley, but also White's 1969 Cadillac.
"He said 'let me see these and see if I can get a good price for these,' by this time I'm completely controlled by this man," White said.
Investigators say McIlwaine sold the two cars for just $13,000. The Bentley is estimated to be worth at least five times that amount.
The World War II veteran didn't see a dime of it. And soon the threats began.
"He began mentioning about people who go against him or don't do what he says, he puts them in the river," White said.
Then last month, White thought he was signing paperwork to move into the Dorchester in Rittenhouse. Instead, investigators say McIlwaine had arranged to sell White's home for just $65,000.
When he tried to return home, a truck was backed up to it and his belonging were gone.
"All my clothes, I don't even have my clothes. He took everything. Unbelievable. Jewelry, watches," White said.
Broke, homeless and deeply embarrassed, White says he had a nervous breakdown and committed himself to the VA Medical Center in University City where he stayed for a few days.
McIlwaine was arrested on Friday and charged with theft, terroristic threats and other related crimes.
White, who is in a rehabilitation facility for a broken hip, has no family and he doesn't know where he goes from here.
"I don't want to be imposing myself on anyone. It's not right to do that and I'm just left with nothing," White said.
philadelphia, montgomery county, scam, local/state, chad pradelli
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 38 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 36 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 11 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos