South Philadelphia veteran scammed out of classic cars, home
GLENSIDE, Pa. - March 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- All 88-year-old Ray White has left are the clothes he's wearing.
"Suddenly I have no place to live and no money. Just nothing. It just all disappeared," White said.
Police say the scam began last year when Melvin McIlwaine approached White outside his South Philadelphia home and told him how much he liked his 1964 Bentley.
McIlwaine began coming to the home more often. White thought he had a new friend.
But soon McIlwaine wanted the titles to not only the Bentley, but also White's 1969 Cadillac.
"He said 'let me see these and see if I can get a good price for these,' by this time I'm completely controlled by this man," White said.
Investigators say McIlwaine sold the two cars for just $13,000. The Bentley is estimated to be worth at least five times that amount.
The World War II veteran didn't see a dime of it. And soon the threats began.
"He began mentioning about people who go against him or don't do what he says, he puts them in the river," White said.
Then last month, White thought he was signing paperwork to move into the Dorchester in Rittenhouse. Instead, investigators say McIlwaine had arranged to sell White's home for just $65,000.
When he tried to return home, a truck was backed up to it and his belonging were gone.
"All my clothes, I don't even have my clothes. He took everything. Unbelievable. Jewelry, watches," White said.
Broke, homeless and deeply embarrassed, White says he had a nervous breakdown and committed himself to the VA Medical Center in University City where he stayed for a few days.
McIlwaine was arrested on Friday and charged with theft, terroristic threats and other related crimes.
White, who is in a rehabilitation facility for a broken hip, has no family and he doesn't know where he goes from here.
"I don't want to be imposing myself on anyone. It's not right to do that and I'm just left with nothing," White said.
philadelphia, montgomery county, scam, local/state, chad pradelli
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche 15 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry 38 min ago
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in Olney 50 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
50 min ago